Tuesday, December 14, 2004

workaholism

Two weeks before Thanksgiving my contract at the NGO I was working for in Arlington ended. The same day I interviewed with a new firm and was given a two month contract with a company that produces healthcare industry research and presents their findings to member organizations at large meetings. I design pages for the binders and publications presented at these meetings.

The job is monotonous in that the design isn't all that in-depth or complicated but I'm paid well and there are so many typically corporate amenities involved that I am willing to put forth in excess of sixty hours a week. They give us breakfast, lunch on Thursdays guaranteed, dinner if we stay after 8 pm, free beer on certain Fridays... Why would I ever leave? These are exactly the tactics I despise and yet I'm bought and completely willing to take that bait hook line and sinker.

So I commute 3 hours a day often on top of twelve to fourteen hour days. And I'm happy with everything about it. My life is improving dramatically. I feel responsibility beginnning to enter me and it feels good. I live in my own house. I pay my own bills.

Except...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home