Sunday, February 20, 2005

different forms of transit

Since being fired I've managed to work in the two jobs I had before I started my commuting to DC. I tune organs with a friend of mine while his regular tuning partner is away and I substitute teach at a high school.

Both jobs are interesting. Both are a bit depressing and uplifting at the same time.

Teaching is full of realizations about the kinds of people that will end up making decisions that affect my life soon. It runs the gamut between seeing students with real potential and seeing stereotypes personified in almost apish ways. At the end of each day I leave wishing that I had managed better in my old job. I'll be bussing to school right along with the kids soon.

Keyholding is boring. So much so that I bring a book with me to read while I do it. I can hold the book and turn pages with my left hand and depress keys and stops with my right. It's not unenjoyable, but it's temporary and it's not challenging. Driving between DC and Baltimore with a friend is enjoyable.

I can make the rent for March. I guess that was the big question mark. Now I just have to find a real job so I can make April's. Month to month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home